Aldinga, SA - Uniting (30152)
Year Built: 1863
Previous Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist
Last Updated: 18/02/2021
History and Architecture:
The Uniting Church was constructed as the Aldinga Methodist Church and opened in 1863 during a period of active church building throughout the district. Services for Methodists in the Aldinga area had been held in other locations previously, but this church was the focus of their worship from the 1860's onwards.
Stone church with brick quoins, timber framed roof and lead-light windows. The overall body of the church has been painted and the masonry walls and delicate detailing in the brickwork on the buttresses is now obscured by paint.
The building has been re-roofed and the masonry finials at the either end of the gable are missing. According to early photos these were similar to those on the porch. The church was originally enclosed along its front boundary by a random rubble wall about 1200mm high. The church is typical of the design of mid 19th century Wesleyan/Methodist churches and is similar in size and detail to the Sellicks Hill Uniting Church.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|2011 -||Rev Len Jude|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.