Alexandra, VIC - St John's Anglican (20081)
Year Built: 1937
History and Architecture:
The first church of St John's in Alexandra was built in 1868 and is now the parish ahll. The building was moved from a more southerly site in town to the present position in 1938. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid by Reverend Douglas Blake on 18 November 1937.
The present church is of reinforced concrete designed by Louis Williams and built by Mr George Pain.
The Church was consecrated in August 1943 by the Right Reverend T.M.Armour, Bishop of Wangaratta. The style was described as “ Arts and Crafts Continuing Gothic/Norman.”
The present Rectory was built in 1907. It is assumed from its age that it was on the present site and retained by the Church. It was restored and extended in 1987 at a cost of approximately $50,000.
|1910 - 1914||Deacon James Leslie Watt|
|1924 - 1926||Rev Robert Bruce Ball|
|1931 - 1935||Rev Leopold George Ball M.A.|
|1928 - 1930||Rev William Andrew Williams|
|1946 - 1956||Rev Samuel Taylor|
|1966 - 1970||Rev F.A. Morrey|
|1970 - 1973||Rev P.S. Hutchinson|
|2019 -||Rev Graeme Brown|
No information currently available, submissions welcomed.
Parish Churches Diocese of Wangaratta