Altona, VIC - St Mary help of Christians Catholic (20903)
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Last Updated: 28/12/2020
History and Architecture:
The first Mass was held on 14 August 1922 by the Very Reverend John Barry the Cathedral Administrator. The venue for the early Masses was the Progress hall which eventually became a Baptist venue.
The first Church was an historic timer building which serves as a church, primary school and entertainment centre. It was first located on the west corner of Fanny (Rayner) Street and Railway Street north.
Archbishop Daniel Mannix blessed and opened the first church of 6 March 1927.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1922 - 1924||Rev Thomas Brazil||From Williamstown|
|1922 - 1924||Rev Humphrey Moynihan||Asst||1967|
|1925 - 1936||Rev Michael Flannery||1949|
|1925 - 1926||Rev James Clifford||Asst||1971|
|1927 -||Rev Lawrence Goodwin||Asst|
|1928 - 1929||Rev P J O'Connor||Asst||1982|
|1929 -||Rev Angelo Camilleri||Asst|
|1930 -||Rev Patrick Egan||Asst|
|1931 - 1936||Rev John Bailey||Asst||1963|
|1936 - 1939||Rev Ken Morrison||Administrator||1990|
|1940 - 1941||Rev James English||Administrator|
|1942 - 1946||Rev Bernard M Day||Administrator|
|1946 - 1970||Rev James A Nooney||1983|
|1961 - 1963||Rev Gerard Dowling||Asst|
|1963 -||Rev Victor Rubco||Asst|
|1966 - 1970||Rev Michael Kelleher||Asst||1991|
|1970 - 1971||Rev Malcolm Crawford||Asst|
|1970 - 1986||Rev Brenden Torr||1998|
|1972 - 1973||Rev Peter Searson||Asst|
|1974 - 1975||Rev Paul Dalton||Asst|
|1975 - 1977||Rev Gerry O'Connor|
|1978 - 1980||Rev Peter Slattery||Asst|
|1981 - 1983||Rev Kevin Dillon||Asst|
|1984 - 1986||Rev Joe Ruys||Asst|
|1987 - 1990||Rev Marvic Caruana||Asst|
|1987 - 1991||Most Rev Peter J Connors|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. A History of the parish of St Mary help of Christians Altona. SLT 282.9451H 62 S