Angaston, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1878

Denomination: Uniting

Address: Corner Fyfe & Sturt Street, Angaston, South Australia, 5353

Previous Denomination: Congregational

Architect: Daniel Garlick

Architectural Style: Gothic Revival

Traditional Owners: Peramangk people

Last Updated: 21/02/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

Formerly a Congregational church the first church was a red brick chapel built in 1861 at the rear of the current church.

The foundation stone of this church was laid by Mr J H Angas Esq J.P. on 13 May 1878. It cost £2162.00. It is of Gothic Revival style with bluestone walls and rendered dressings. The leadlight windows were shipped from England. The vestry building stands beside and to the back of this church.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1853 - Rev James Sawle C
1863 - 1874 Rev John Gibson C
1875 - 1877 Rev Robert Newton Morris C
1877 - 1879 Rev Thomas Edward Owens Mell C
1879 - 1880 Rev Edwin H. Scott C
1888 - 1890 Rev John Ebenezer Kelly C
1881 - 1888 Rev Alfred Jones C
1891 - 1907 Rev William Mugford Grant C
1907 - 1910 Rev Frederick Vicary Pratt M.A. C 1932
1910 - 1916 Rev John George Wright C
- Rev Herbert George Nelson C
1924 - 1926 Rev Wilfred John Magor C
1926 - 1934 Rev William James Williams C
1934 - 1942 Rev Ernest William Weymouth C
1942 - Rev G. Lindsay Lockley B.A. C
2019 - Rev Christine Manning U
2022 - Rev Rob Morgan U


The first organ was installed in 1889 at a cost of £150.00. It was later sold to the Whyalla Methodist Church. The current organ came from Draper Memorial Methodist Church in Adelaide. It was built in 1908 and installed in its present location in 1943.


1. Congregationalism in Angaston 1844 - 1944 The story of a Hundred Years. SA 285.894232 L816 1944