Annandale, NSW - St Adan's Anglican (10308)

Year Built: 1892

Denomination: Anglican

Address: 120 Johnston Street, Annandale, Victoria, 2038

Last Updated: 04/06/2020

See Street View

Send your photos

History and Architecture:

The names St Aidan's appears to have been first suggested for the church in Annandale by the Reverend Thomas Holme of Leichhardt. The Architect was Mr J.S.E. Ellis of Pitt Street Sydney. Initially the Foundation stone was to be laid 18 June 1892 but was delayed due to building but was postponed until 23 July the same year.The stone was laid by the then Primate of Australia and Archbishop of Sydney William Saumarez.

The Building was opened for worship 5 November 1892.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1892 - Rev Thomas Holme
1892 - 1893 Rev Harry Izod Richards
1893 - 1909 Rev Frederick William Reeve
1893 - Rev James Macarthur Asst
1898 - Rev Reginald Smee Asst
1899 - Rev Joshua Hargraves Asst
? - 1916 Rev Edward Nowill Wilton Asst
1907 - 1917 Rev James Aldridge Newth Asst
1909 - 1932 Rev Cannon Robert Rook
1932 - 1934 Rev Harry Norman Powys
1932 - 1934 Rev David Creighton Asst
1934 - 1935 Rev Joseph Price Owen
1935 - 1937 Rev Clifton Plessay Brown
1937 - 1953 Rev James Frederick Gordon Olds
1953 - 1958 Rev Ronald Patfield
1958 - 1970 Rev Robert William West Hemming
1970 - 1978 Rev James Alexander Sanders
1978 - 1985 Rev Denis Kirkaldy
1985 - 1989 Rev Graham Bruce McKay
1990 - 1992 Rev Peter Francis Middleton
2019 ?? - Rev Dominic Steele

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Extracts:

Annals from Aidan's in Annandale a collection of notes on the history of a Sydney Parish. Compiled by Roderick Best