Ashburton, VIC - Uniting
Year Built: 1961
Previous Denomination: Methodist
Architect: Bates, Smart and McCutcheon
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri Woi-wurrung people
Last Updated: 11/09/2023
History and Architecture:
The site of the present property with a frontage of 180 feet to Ashburn Grove was purchased n December 1928 by the Malvern Circuit.
A reference from the source below reads, " On Saturday 14th of December 1935 Rev F.H. Williams unlocked the Church doors with a gold key presented by the Architects and Rev J.W. Rowse who at the time was Minister in Charge of the Glen Iris and Ashburton Churches, dedicated the building for worship. Rev J.W. Grove M.A. President of the Conference conducted the first service on Sunday 15th December at 11am".
Approval for a new Church was granted at a Trustees meeting held on 21st March 1960. The Architects were Messrs Bates, Smart and McCutcheon of St Kilda. The cost of the Church was $84,606. The foundation stone was set on 25th March 1961 by the Rev David Lewis ex President of the Conference and Managing Secretary. The Church was opened on 4th November 1961 by the Rev Stanley Weeks President of the Conference.
A Foundation stone on the current Church reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Rev David Lewis n the 25th of March 1961". A foundation stone on the old Church reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by E.A. Gato Esq 5th October 1935".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1929 - 1933||Rev F. H. Williams||M||1943|
|1934 - 1935||Rev J. W. Rowse||M||1953|
|1936 - 1937||Rev A. H. Muller||M|
|1938 - 1938||Rev L. T. Ugalde||M||2009|
|1939 - 1941||Rev N. G. Higgs||M||1957|
|1942 - 1946||Rev N. G. Graham||M||1955|
|1947 - 1947||Rev B. E. Williams||M||1961|
|1948 - 1948||Rev Keith Merridith Pither||M||1915||2008|
|1949 - 1951||Rev H. J. Williams||M|
|1952 - 1952||Rev L. E. Shirley||M|
|1953 - 1953||Rev B. R. Rollins||M|
|1954 - 1954||Rev A. W. Collins||M|
|1955 - 1959||Rev G. A. Collett||M|
|1960 - 1963||Rev N. E. Derbyshire||M|
|1964 - 1968||Rev W. J. Hunkin||M||1975|
|2022 -||Rev Lavingi Fine Tupou||U|
During 1951 an electronic organ was installed in the Church at a cost of $1200. This organ gave excellent service but when a larger organ was purchased for the new church in 1961 the older instrument was sold to the newly built Strathmerton Methodist Church for $700. The cost was $3904 which was offset by a very generous gift of S1000 from one of our laymen who at the time expressed the wish to remain anonymous. The organ consists of two standard 61 note keyboards, a full 32 note pedal keyboard, solo pedal, 22 preset keys, four sets of drawbars, 2 pedal drawbars, available at eight volume intensities, three stage vibrato available on either manual separately, and touch response percussion control.
1. Ashburton Methodist Church and Sunday School Ashburn Grove Ashburton Programme of Opening Service.
2. Our 48 Years 1929 - 1977 Ashburton Methodist Church.