Axedale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic
Year Built: 1902
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: 15 Raglan Place East, Axedale, Victoria, 3551
Traditional Owners: Dja Dja Wurrung people
Last Updated: 08/03/2023
History and Architecture:
The original St Mary’s church was blessed and opened for worship on Sunday 9th February, 1862. It was a bluestone building, plain and unpretentious, on the hill, maybe 100 or so yards east of the present Church.
The current Church consists of a nave 48’ x 26’, sanctuary 17’ x 16’, vestry 14’ x 11’, and a porchway at the entrance 8’ x 8’. The nave has a height in the centre of 33’ from the floorline to the apex of the ceiling and is lighted by nine lancet-headed windows, which are glazed and tinted leadlights.
The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Reville O.S.A. of Sandhurst on February 16th, 1902.
There are currently no clergy recorded for this church. Submissions are welcomed.
1. The Church website.