Ballarat East, VIC - St Alipius Catholic
Year Built: 1874
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: Victoria Street, Ballarat East, Victoria, 3350
Architect: Henry Richard Caselli
Traditional Owners: Wadawurrung people
Last Updated: 21/12/2022
History and Architecture:
The Church is part of the Parish of Ballarat East and the Diocese of Ballarat. The Church dates from November 1852 when Father Matthew Downing arrived on the Ballarat gold fields.
The foundation stone of this impressive Redan bluestone building was laid on 3rd March 1873 by Bishop Goold, who held the title of the Bishop of Victoria. It was to be constructed at an estimated cost of £5,000.
The church was opened in 1874, to the design of the English Gothic Revivalist architect Charles Hanson, supervised by Ballarat’s Henry Caselli. Built of bluestone, it has ornamental Neo-Gothic stone detailing and slate roof tiles.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1852 - 1854||Father Matthew Downing|
|1854 -||Father Patrick Smyth||1865|
|1854 -||Father Fennelly||Asst||1882|
|-||Father Ranald Rankin||Locum||1863|
|1857 - 1862||Father Patrick Madden||1884|
|-||Father Eugene McCarthy||Asst||1865|
|1859 -||Father Lawrence Bonaventure Sheil||1972|
|1861 - 1863||Father Francis Hayden||1863|
|1865 -||Father Richard Ellis|
|1866 -||Father James Moore||1904|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. St Alipius Ballarat's first Church The Early History by Dorothy Wickham. SLT 282.9457 AL4W.
2. Deceased Clergy in Australia, 1788-2023