Ballarat North, VIC - Uniting
Year Built: 1883
Previous Denomination: Methodist
Architect: Terry & Oakden
Traditional Owners: Wadawurrung people
Last Updated: 03/06/2023
History and Architecture:
The present bichromatic brick church was erected in 1883-84 to the design of Terry & Oakden in an Italianate Gothic style, with additions in 1899. The main entrance is set at a higher level than the apse and the floor follows the slope of the land. The external brickwork is elaborately detailed around the windows and doors with notched brickwork while the external walls have diapered patterns. The amphitheatrical interior is lofty and spacious and includes cast iron galleries at the sides and rear of the nave.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1948 - 1953||Rev Albert Leslie Sherlock||M||1964|
|1957 - 1958||Rev Norman F. Lee||M|
|1961 -||Rev John B. Longthorn B.A.||M|
The present three-manual organ was built by Fincham & Hobday at a cost of £1,145 and was opened by G.B. Fentum on 24 October 1890. Rebuilt in 1924, and in 1954 by George Fincham & Sons. It has 3m, 35 sp. st, 12c, elpn. Gt: 184.108.40.206.4.4.2.III.8. Sw: 220.127.116.11.8.4.2.III.8.8.4. Ch: 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124. Ped: 126.96.36.199.8.8.8.
For a full description and photos click here.
1. Methodist Church of Australasia Ministerial Index
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.