Ballarat, VIC - St John the Evangelist Anglican (20192)

Year Built: 1865

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: John

Address: Soldiers Hill, Ballarat, Victoria, 3350

Last Updated: 06/01/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

A meeting of interested persons was held at the Olive Branch Hotel 6 December 1861 to discuss the formation of a church. A further meeting was held at the North Star Hotel on 24 September 1862 to canvas more funds. During this time services were held in a tent on the Lydiard Street site.*

The foundation stone was laid on 15 March 1864 by the very Reverend Dean Macartney Vicar General of Melbourne. The church was opened on 19 February 1865.*

A Chancery and Sanctuary were later added to the design of Leonard Terry at a cost of 1,300.*

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1865 - Rev C.J.T. Perks
1865 - 1866 Rev Josiah Hollis
1866 - 1868 Rev William Flyod
1868 - 1874 Rev George Wade Watson
1874 - Rev B.S. Walker
1875 - 1892 Rev Rigby Johnson Mercer
1893 - 1906 Rev J.C. Carmichael
1906 - 1909 Rev H. Walker Taylor M.A.
1909 - 1910 Rev J. Linton Taylor
1911 - 1914 Rev William Dalton
1914 - 1921 Rev Joseph Best
1921 - 1932 Rev B.H. Dewhurst
1932 - 1936 Rev G.E. Menlove
1936 - 1940 Rev Roland N. Morrison
1940 - 1951 Rev Gordon Aspey
1951 - Rev J. Mason
1952 - 1964 Rev Henry S. Hannaford
1965 - 1968 Rev Kenneth Kenyon
1969 - 1974 Rev R.H. Pidgeon
1974 - 1978 Rev N. Thulborn
1979 - Rev Denys Tonks

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Extracts:

St John the Evangelist Anglican Church 1865 - 1989. Lois Reynolds