Ballarat, VIC - St Peter's Anglican
Traditional Owners: Wadawurrung people
Last Updated: 19/06/2023
History and Architecture:
In contemplation of its earliest beginning's of St Peter's Church Ballarat the credit for its foundation must undoubtedly be given to Rev John Potter and his curate the Rev H.C.M. Watson some time during the year 1861.
It is upon the erection of a school house in 1861 on the Yuille's Swamp Reserve which was sometimes called a school house and sometimes a church , that the beginnings of the Parish of St Peter's Ballarat may be said to date. Withers history of Ballarat contains an old map upon which is marked St Peter's church on the corner of Pleasant and Mair streets.
A Foundation stone was laid by .S. Hassell Esq of the Ballarat Mills on 16 November 1864.
The site of the present church was bought for £200 in 1864, and the main part of the current church, or "nave", was completed in 1865 when the church opened for worship. The bluestone church was built in 1864-1867 to the design of Ballarat architect C.D. Cuthbert and later enlarged through the addition of the broad transepts and the massive tower in 1891.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1863 - 1886||Rev H. W.H. Adeney|
|1886 - 1895||Rev Willoughby Flower M.A.|
|1895 - 1899||Rev F. Slaney Poole M.A.|
|1899 - 1903||Rev J. W. Griffiths M.A.|
|1903 - 1909||Rev W. C. Pritchard D.D.|
|1909 - 1912||Rev T. P. Bennett|
|1913 - 1918||Rev M. C. James|
|1918 - 1925||Rev F. T. Morgan-Payler M.A.|
|1925 - 1935||Rev N. S. Fettell TH.L|
|1935 - 1940||Rev A. Bell TH.L|
|1940 - 1951||Rev E. S. Yeo TH.L|
|1951 -||Rev Lindsay M. Howell B.A. TH.L|
|2020 -||Rev Graham Reynolds|
An Organ Chamber costing £129. 4.11 was built over the archway on the east side of the Naive to house the new organ which was built at a cost of £412. More information can be found here.
1. St Peter's Church Ballarat, The first 100 years.1861 - 1961. LTP 283.9457