Balmain, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic
Year Built: 1906
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: 6 Eaton Street, Balmain, New South Wales, 2041
Architect: Augustus Pugin
Last Updated: 21/04/2023
History and Architecture:
The first St Augustine's was built in 1848 and designed by Augustus Pugin England's most influential early Victorian architect.
In 1848 the Archbishop of Sydney put up a bond of 150 which would be voided unless part of a church or materials worth 400 were on site within 18 months. The "magnificent plot of land [was] beautifully situated on the summit of a hill, commanding a prospect of the surrounding country"
On 18 September 1848 the Vicar-General called tenders for the erection of the new church notifying builders that "the plans and specifications can be seen at Mr John Davis's, near St Patrick's church".12 Mention of formal tender documents implies an architect, but his identity is not known. The name of the builder was not mentioned either.
The first service was held on 13 April 1851 the day after the church was opened.
The Architect for the second church was Albert Bates and the foundation stone was laid on 7 October 1906. It was dedicated on 1 December 1907.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1854 - 1856||Father Robert Downing|
|1856 - 1864||Father John Joseph Therry|
|1864 - 1869||Father George F Dillon|
|1860 - 1870||Father John Rigney|
|1869 - 1871||Father P. Burch|
|1871 - 1875||Father L. P Pacilio|
|1875 - 1877||Father Forest|
|1878 - 1881||Father G Dillon|
|1881 - 1885||Father J. J. Carroll|
|1885 - 1887||Father T. Leonard|
|1894 - 1902||Father P. Healy|
|1902 - 1929||Father Rohan|
|1929 - 1931||Mgt T. Hayden|
|1932 - 1935||Father H Conaghan|
|1935 - 1945||Father P. J. Morris|
|1945 - 1972||Father P T Boland|
|1973 - 1988||Father Noel Joseph Murphy||1988|
|1988 - 1994||Father B. Titmuss|
|1994 -||Father J Keeble|
The Organ was built by Hill & Son in 1886. It had 3m., 21 sp. st., mechanical. Originally for the YMCA Hall in Pitt Street, Sydney, it was moved some 20 years later to St Carthage’s Catholic Cathedral, Lismore, in northern NSW. It was transferred to St Augustine’s in 1912.
For a full description and photos click here.
1. On Balmain Hill. 150 years of the Catholic Church in Balmain. Peter Reynolds. SLN 282.944127
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.