Beaconsfield, TAS - Uniting (8050)
Year Built: 1909
Previous Denomination: Methodist
Last Updated: 21/08/2021
History and Architecture:
Gold mining attracted many Methodist Cornishmen to settle in this district. In 1861 services were held at Supply River with preachers provided from Launceston. In 1878 the Primitive Methodists came to Beaconsfield and by 1880 the Rev C.R. Rice took up ministry there as part of the Launceston Mission. By 1891 Beaconsfield was created a separate circuit. About 1879 a chapel had been built, but after Methodist Union was moved to Sandy Beach.
A Foundation stone on the church building reads, " This stone was laid by T.H. Waldon M.A. ..... 9th May A.D. 1909". A stone on the hall next door reads, " This stone was laid by Hon Neil Campbell M.L.C. on 4th October 1958".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1880 -||Rev C R Rice||M|
|1919 - 1922||Rev Percy O Parnaby||M|
|1925 - 1928||Rev Gustaff W Wilson||M|
|1931 - 1933||Rev Robert W Uren||M|
|1936 - 1939||Rev Reginald A Medson||M|
|1943 - 1946||Rev Mervyn H Fletcher||M|
|1946 - 1949||Rev Jack D Lutge||M||1920||2014|
|1949 - 1954||Rev Alfred K Wilhelms||M||2013|
|1954 - 1958||Rev John E Richards||M|
|1958 - 1960||Rev Jan Van Duren||M||2004|
|1961 -||Rev John L Lukies||M|
1. Australasian Methodist Ministerial Index.
2. The Ryerson Index.
3. Tasmanian Methodism 1820 - 1975. 287.1946 TAS