Bendigo, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1930

Denomination: Uniting

Saint: Andrew

Address: 26 Myers Street, Bendigo, Victoria, 3550

Previous Denomination: Presbyterian

Architect: G.D. Garvin and C Eathorne

Traditional Owners: Dja Dja Wurrung people

Last Updated: 11/03/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)


History and Architecture:

A Foundation stone was laid by Mrs William Hunter on 22 March 1930. The Architects of the current Church were G.D. Garvin and C Eathorne.

A stuccoed brick church of 1930, which is quite idiosyncratic in detail and gains its distinctive character from the eclectic and not entirely felicitous low relief cement decoration. This Church is of a traditional Gothic design with some modifications. It features the use of cement render and notable stained glass windows. It replaced an earlier stone church from 1859.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1930 - Rev D. A. Hodges
2018 - Rev Di Esbensen
2020 - Rev Tim Angus

Organ:

The Organ was built in 1882 by Alfred Fuller and renovated in 1917 by Geo.Fincham & Son (new windchests, pipework altered). It was moved into the new church building in 1930 by Robert and Cyril Cowling. Rebuilt again in 1959 by Hill, Norman & Beard (Australia) Pty Ltd. It has 2 manuals, 29 speaking stops, 9 couplers, electro-pneumatic and electro-magnetic action.

A full description can see seen here.

Source:

1. Victorian Heritage website.
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.