Bendigo, VIC - St Killian's Catholic
Year Built: 1888
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Architect: W.C. Vahland
Traditional Owners: Dja Dja Wurrung people
Last Updated: 26/04/2023
History and Architecture:
The first church was a slab and canvas structure assembled in 1853 by Rev Dr Backhaus.
In May 1856, construction of a stone church commenced. Topped by a slate roof, the church was a grand site with its 22 buttresses and four entrances. However, only 30 years later, the building was condemned as the walls were cracking and crumbling. In late 1887, W.C.Vahland designed the current church and its one of the largest weatherboard churches in the world. It was opened by Bishop Crane in July 1888.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|2022 ? -||Rev Junray Rayna|
|2022 ? -||Rev Rob Galea||Asst|
The Organ was built by R.A. Randebrock of Paderborn, Germany in 1872. It has 2 manuals, 25 speaking stops, mechanical action. Restored by Bellsham Pipe Organs of Perth in 1981-2.
A full description and photos can be seen here.
1. Church website.
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia.