Berwick, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (20965)
Year Built: 1885
Last Updated: 31/10/2021
History and Architecture:
The first service was held in 1856 in Narre Warren at the residence of Mr Catenach on a fortnightly basis for about a year and then moved to a hut in Berwick owned by a Mr Gardiner. The Church is the oldest church in Berwick, and the congregation was founded amongst Scottish and English settlers in 1857 by Rev Alexander Duff, an Irish Presbyterian minister based in Cranbourne, Victoria. Initially a wooden church was built. This was followed by the beautiful heritage building we see today, opened on February 15th, 1885.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1857 -||Rev Alexander Duff|
|1878 - 1888||Rev John Martin|
|1888 -||Rev W. H Rock|
|1888 -||Rev D Millar||Asst|
|1945 - 1948||Rev William Herbert Duncan McMeekin||1889||1948|
|2021 ? -||Rev Wendy Snook|
The pipe organ is a comparatively recent addition, coming from the old Dandenong Presbyterian Church in the early 2000’s.
1. Church website.
3. State Library of Victoria. Photo. Complies with Libraires copyright stipulations.
4. Early Days of Berwick and Its Surrounding Districts. An Outline of Its Settlement over the First Century / Comp. by Norman E. Beaumont, James F. Curran, and R.H. Hughes. 2nd Rev. Ed.]. ed. Berwick and: District Agricultural and Horticultural Society, 1959. Print..