Blackburn, VIC - St John's Anglican (20630)
Year Built: 1890
Last Updated: 16/06/2021
History and Architecture:
The Government granted land in 1861 to the Church of England in Bedford Street - an area which stretched From the present Bedford Street, Box Hill to Canterbury Road, then called Delaney's Road. Charles Bedford was Secretary to the Vestry of the local Church of England for many years. The Bedford Road Church was a brick building also used as a school by the Education Department who would not buy it thereby denying local churchmen the money with which to build a proper church.
The Bedford Road church and school was closed in 1894, four years after the laying of the foundation stone of the new St. John's.
The initial meeting to form the church was held in Mr Morton's home in Gordon Crescent on 3 May 1889. The first Service was held on 12 May 1889 but no Minister arrived so Mr Morton J.P. read the service. The decision to call the Church St John's was made by the Guardians at their meeting on 18th July 1890.
A tender by the Garrett Brothers of Box for £384 was accepted subject to alteration of curtains for walls.
Between 1903 and 1905 more land was purchased on the north side of the existing church.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1878 - 1880||Rev Thomas Wood||Curate||1855||1937|
|1890 - 1901||Rev W Green|
|1902 - 1905||Rev Herbert Stanley Hollow||1873||1938|
|1903 - 1905||Rev G A.C. Wade|
|1905 - 1908||Rev Arthur Rufus Raymond||1857||1932|
|1908 - 1913||Rev E. Edward Halford Hennell||1862||1941|
|1912 -||Rev H Vernon Rogers||Curate from Doncaster|
|1913 - 1917||Rev R. A. Blackham|
|1918 - 1928||Rev E. C Gayer|
|1928 - 1929||Rev Charles Kingsley Cole||1865||1943|
|1929 - 1932||Rev Edward Finnie||1887||1938|
|1932 - 1936||Rev L. H. Croker||1881||1936|
|1936 - 1947||Rev Alfred Charles Miles||1893||1983|
|1947 - 1948||Rev Thomas Henry Watts||1890||1948|
|1948 -||Rev Robert Ernest Finger||1887||1948|
|1948 - 1958||Rev Ronald Thompson Millar||1891||1958|
|1958 - 1964||Rev Harry. L Shepherd||1903||1969|
|1961 - 1962||Rev Kenneth John Brierty||Curate||1933||2019|
|1963 -||Rev W. K Kenna||Locum|
|1963 - 1964||Rev D W. Townsend||Curate|
|1964 - 1966||Rev Russell Braddon||Curate|
|1964 - 1970||Rev K. Cornow|
|1966 - 1967||Rev David Hawkins||Curate|
|1968 - 1970||Rev Alan Hoskin||Curate|
|1970 - 1978||Rev Raymond Charles Brooks||1929|
|1971 - 1973||Rev T Wood||Curate|
|1973 - 1975||Rev Bruce Euan Hansford||Asst C||1944|
|1973 - 1975||Rev Bruce Hansford||Curate|
|1975 - 1976||Rev Ian Cameron||Curate|
|1977 -||Rev John Pinniger||Curate|
|1977 - 1979||Rev Tony Copley||Curate|
|1978 -||Rev Dr J. W. Williams|
|1979 - 1980||Rev Graeme Sells||Curate|
|1983 - 1992||Rev Richard Ernest Wallace||1935|
|1987 - 1990||Rev John Waldron Taylor||Asst M||1940|
|2011 -||Rev D Liersch|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. A Work on the Wheels. A Hisotry of St John's Anglican Church Blackburn. 1890 - 1980. Jean UHL. LH 283.9451 UHL.
2. Cable Clergy Index.