Bodalla, NSW - All Saint's Anglican

Year Built: 1880

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: All Saints

Address: 42 Princess Highway, Bodalla, New South Wales, 2545

Architect: Edmund Blacket

Traditional Owners: Yuin people

Last Updated: 26/12/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (4 photos)


History and Architecture:

The foundation stone was laid by Thomas Mort's widow, Marianne (second wife) on 18 March, 1880. The service was conducted by John Selwyn, second Bishop of Melanesia, who later married Mort's elder daughter, Annie, to whose memory the window in the Baptistry is dedicated. The building was finished in 1901. Still lacking the intended spire, it was consecrated by Archbishop Saumarez-Smith on the feast of All Saints, the following year.

The architect chosen was Edmund Blacket. Though the original design was his it is unlikely that Blacket ever saw the site of All Saints' (chosen by T.S. Mort) for he was not only very busy, but also ill at that time, so it was his son, Cyril, who carried it through its first stage (i.e. ,Chincel, Vestry, Organ Recess and the first two bays.

The builder chosen was Heinrich Zeigler of Moruya under Blacket's supervision. The granite of which it is built was quarried on the Estate. The entrance door, with its intricate hand wrought iron hinges and straps and the stone font within, were designed by ET Blacket himself.

Clergy:

These names are now in the database and can be searched individually

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1880 - 1883 Rev Canon William Horatio Walsh 1812 1882
1883 - 1885 Rev Thomas Symonds Part Time 1843 1897
1885 - 1886 Rev A. C. Yorks
1887 - 1888 Rev George Fairfowl McArthur 1825 1890
1888 - 1890 Rev George Albert Carver 1862 1930
1890 - 1895 Rev Charles S. Hawken 1862 1930
1892 - 1892 Rev Samuel Topham 1839 1899
1896 - 1901 Rev Francis Witherby 1836 1901
1904 - 1906 Rev James Auchinleck Ross 1855 1925
1906 - 1909 Rev Stephen James Houison 1875 1949
1909 - 1911 Rev S. A.T. Chapman
1911 - 1916 Rev Francis Biddulph Clive 1857 1919
1916 - 1923 Rev H. E. Lewis
1923 - 1924 Rev J. P. Lewis 1879 1926
1926 - 1928 Rev James Benson 1887 1955
1929 - 1930 Rev E. J. Holmes 1884 1931
1931 - 1943 Rev J. M. Thomas 1875 1961
1946 - 1950 Rev Benjamin Boddington 1909 1987
1950 - 1960 Rev H. S. Brown 1888 1975
1960 - 1964 Rev Cyril Frederick Reeve 1908 1973
1964 - 1966 Rev John Henry Durrant Woodhouse 1906 1966
1967 - 1971 Rev W. Burchill
1972 - 1976 Rev R. J. Tate
1977 - 1982 Rev C. Simon
1983 - 1987 Rev E. Burton
1988 - 1995 Rev L. Troth
1995 - 2003 Rev F. Phillips
2004 - 2010 Rev T. Smith
2010 - Rev C. Wagner

Organ:

The organ, located in a chamber on the north side of the chancel was built in 1882 by Henry Willis & Sons of London, 2 man., 10 sp. st., 3c., tr. A partial restoration was undertaken in 1976 by Peter Jewkes and Anthony Welby and a full restoration by Peter D. G. Jewkes Pty Ltd took place in 1991.
For a full description and photos click here.

Source:

1. Church pamphlet.
2. Cable Clerical Index.
3. The Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.