Boort, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic
Year Built: 1928
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Architect: J. & B. Keogh
Traditional Owners: Dja Dja Wurrung people
Last Updated: 15/08/2023
History and Architecture:
Catholic services were held in homes and halls in the district from 1865 by priests visiting from Inglewood, and from 1876, St. Arnaud.
The first church, a wooden building, was built in Boort in the 1890s.
A new building was erected in the 1920s with funds raised largely through a Queen Competition. The church was designed by J. and B. Keogh of Melbourne and built by E. Booth and Sons at a cost of £3302 5s. in 1927. The brick Gothic-style church was opened on New Year's Day in 1928 by His Lordship Bishop Foley of Ballarat. Alterations were made to the vestry c1987.
The former weatherboard church was purchased by a local builder and shifted for use as a workshop at the rear of the house on the corner of Lake View Street North and King Street.
A Foundation stone reads, "This Church was blessed and opened by the Most Reverend D. Foley D.D. Bishop of Ballarat January 1st 1928 Rev C.J. Kelly P.P."
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1885 - 1900||Father Michael Costello||Locum|
|1900 - 1917||Father E. Goldanich|
|1913 - 1916||Father Charles Mulcahy||Asst||1968|
|1917 -||Father C. Kelly||1940|
|1949 -||Father Charles Mulcahy||1968|
|2020 -||Father Eugene McKinnon|
|2020 -||Father Jim McKay||Asst|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. 2023 Boort Historical Society