Brighton, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1864

Denomination: Uniting

Address: 442 Brighton Road, Brighton, South Australia, 5048

Previous Denomination: Methodist

Architect: Unknown

Last Updated: 20/04/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

Built as a Methodist Church, the foundation stone was laid on the 1st of May, 1864. It was the for runner of the first church built in Sturt Road in 1847.

The first members of the church met in private homes on Sturt Road. As a rural community the first service was held in the 1840's in a dugout with an upturned boat serving as a roof. The up-turned boat is reflected in the 'Memorial Window' which is on the southern wall of the entrance foyer. The window was commissioned for the 150th anniversary celebration held in 1997.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1917 - 1920 Rev James McIntosh M
1923 - 1927 Rev George H Pemberton M
1934 - 1938 Rev Glen W Clarke M
1938 - 1944 Rev Eric J Tregilgas M
1939 - 1940 Rev Victor Claude Fox M
1940 - Rev Mervyn C Trenorden M
1940 - 1948 Rev Albert Bell M Asst
1948 - 1953 Rev Guthrie C Hutchinson M
1951 - 1952 Rev Jeff H Drake M Asst
1952 - Rev Albert Bell M
1952 - 1953 Rev Mervyn V Norman M Asst 1928 2015
1953 - 1954 Rev Robert Brian Burns M Asst
1954 - 1955 Rev Ian C Paull M Asst
1958 - Rev Allan M Davis M
1958 - Rev John V Morgan M
1958 - 1960 Rev Garth B Tossell M
1960 - Rev Archibald Simpson M
1962 - Rev William Hounslow M
2011 - Rev Graham Vawser U
2020 ? - Rev Malcolm Rawlings U


Official Opening and Dedication of Memorial Pipe Organ [Adelaide] 1952 / Taylor H A F. History of Brighton SA Adel 1958 /Spec noted BN 1969.


1. Trove
2. Australian Methodist Church Ministerial Index
3. Organ Historical Trust of Australia