Brisbane East, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Denomination: Methodist

Address: 20 Norman Street, Brisbane East, Queensland, 4169

Architect: Hall and Prentice

Traditional Owners: Turrbal people

Last Updated: 22/02/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger


History and Architecture:

The East Brisbane Primitive Methodist congregation was established in 1888, following estate sales in East Brisbane which freed up land and encouraged residential development. The parish, originally in temporary accommodation in Didsbury Street, relocated to Norman St in 1890.

The church was designed by architectural firm Hall and Prentice and constructed by J. Hood, while the smaller tabernacle was used as a hall and Sunday School room.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1919 - 1920 Rev Alfred A. Mills
1927 - 1929 Rev Francis Chowns
1932 - 1935 Rev Charles T. Palethorpe
1953 - 1958 Rev Colin F. Orton

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1. Methodist Church of Australasia Ministerial Index
2. Heritage Brisbane