Brisbane, QLD - St Andrew's Lutheran
Address: 25 Wickham Terrace, Brisbane, Queensland, 4000
Traditional Owners: Turrbal people
Last Updated: 24/04/2023
History and Architecture:
In 1857, the first Lutheran service was held in the city, and this led to the formation of the congregation in 1858. An application in 1859 secured a Crown Grant of land from the colony of New South Wales, prior to the separation of Queensland later in that year.
The foundation stone of the second church was laid on the Feast Day of St Andrew, 30 November 1881, by Mathew Blagden Hale (Anglican) Bishop of Brisbane.
A Foundation stone on the current church reads, " St Andrew's Lutheran Church This stone was laid on 7.9.1975 Previous Churches were built on this site in 1861 and 1882. To God alone all Glory".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1859 -||Pastor Carl F. Schirmeister||1814||1887|
|2019 -||Pastor Tommi Vuorinen|
The first Organ was built by E.F. Walcker & Co of Ludwigsburg-Württ, Germany. In 1911 removed and in 1990 to Melbourne, and installed 1999-2002 in a private residence, Ballarat, Victoria. Present Organ built by Knud Smenge, Melbourne in 1990. Dedicated on 19 August 1990 by Pastor HVP Renner. It has 2 manuals, 17 speaking stops, mechanical action.
For a full description and photos click here.
1. Church website.
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.