Buckland, TAS St John the Baptist Anglican (8086)
Last Updated: 11/08/2021
History and Architecture:
On 22nd March, 1846, Mr. Cox conducted the first Service in the Buckland Parish, and the only place in which it could be held was the local Police Station. as conducting his Services in a solid little stone Sunday School, and as if this were not enough, the foundation stone had been laid of a Church, which was in later years to be known far and wide for its beauty of design and solidity of construction.
The Church was Consecrated on 15th January, 1850.
Considerable controversy had arisen with reference to the age and origin of the very beautiful East Window of St. John's. The only authentic reference to the origin of the window is the report in the "Hobart Town Courier" of Wednesday, 15th January, 1850, which claims they are "the work of Mr. O'Connor, a London artist." The East Window is of such outstanding quality that several legendary stories are current with regard to its origin, the salient points of which are that it was buried for safety dur-ing the Cromwellian Rebellion, that it was connected with a Church built by William the Conqueror, and that it was sent out to Tasmania by the Marquis of Salisbury.
Two gate posts have inscriptions that read, " A.M.D.G. In memory of Silas Alfred Gatehouse 1872 - 1951 fifth son of John and Charlotte 1817 - 1898 1838 1911 and a grandson of Clement and Dinah 1783 - 1864 1784 - 1858".
On the other gate post the inscription reads, " And in memory of Florence Nelson Gatehouse His eldest daughter who died at Brockley on 9th August 1957. Steadfast and true and his wife Anne 1877 - 1985".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1846 - 1848||Rev Frederick Holdship Cox|
|1848 - 1878||Rev C Dobson|
|1878 - 1882||Rev C Power|
|1882 - 1883||Rev H C Hancock|
|1884 - 1888||Rev H T Tranma|
|1888 - 1890||Mr T Pitt||Lay Reader|
|1890 - 1895||Rev H W Root|
|1895 - 1896||Rev C F Seymour|
|1896 - 1898||Rev E G Barry|
|1898 - 1910||Rev T Pitt|
|1910 - 1914||Rev W Earle||1862||1944|
|1914 - 1921||Rev J W Devenish|
|1921 - 1921||Rev J Wills|
|1921 - 1923||Rev E W Julien||1877||1938|
|1923 - 1924||Rev William Pascoe Langmaid||1891||1971|
|1924 - 1926||Rev W Hooker|
|1926 - 1938||Rev A S Drewett||1883||1960|
|1938 - 1944||Rev H M Maddock||1898||1989|
|1944 - 1948||Rev L B Browning|
|1948 - 1955||Rev R D Tyson|
|1955 - 1958||Rev Eric Lionel Phillips||1910||1981|
|1958 - 1963||Rev R N Fox|
|1963 - 1965||Rev Sidney Gordon Allison||1895||1977|
|1966 - 1967||Rev J h Holland|
|1967 - 1970||Rev David Rien|
|1970 - 1972||Rev M Johnson|
|1972 - 1979||Rev B B Hutchison|
|1979 - 1981||Rev D Le Rossignol|
|1981 -||Rev G Hawkins|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Parish of Buckland Tasmania Church of St John the Baptist history of Church and Window
2. Centenary of Buckland Parish 1846 - 1946.
3. Cable Clerical Index.