Bundaberg, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1960

Denomination: Lutheran

Saint: John

Address: 30 George Street, Bundaberg, Queensland, 4670

Architect: Karl Langer

Traditional Owners: Taribelang Bunda people

Last Updated: 01/04/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

Lutheranism in Bundaberg was established in 1873. Lutheran Pastor Carl Hellmuth of Maryborough visited Bundaberg to preach, administer Holy Communion, and baptise - the first formal Lutheran services in Bundaberg. In 1877 monthly services commenced in a shop in Bundaberg and in 1882 Bundaberg's first Lutheran church was built in Tanitha Street.

The first Church was erected in 1882 while the second was erected in 1982 at a cost of £400. It measured 40 x 25 feet.

Tenders for the construction of the new St John's Lutheran Church, Bundaberg were called in 1957 and a tender of £35,140 from Brisbane-based J Hutchinson and Sons was accepted. A ground-breaking ceremony took place 19 January 1958. It was designed by Karl Langer.

The church is rectangular in plan, 41 metres (135 ft) long and 17 metres (56 ft) wide, with the entrance front facing north. It is set back from George Street fronted a small, grassed forecourt with palms and shrubs. The building has a box-like body sheltered by a large, gable tiled roof. A tall, slender, square-based spire sheeted with copper rises to almost 44 metres (144 ft) above the ground. The copper cross atop extends a further 2.7 metres (8 ft 10 in) and is lit by fluorescent tubes. The northern and southern sides of the spire have fixed copper louvres at the level of the hanging bell.



This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1877 - 1883 Pastor Carl Hellmuth
1883 - 1884 Pastor Johann Koehnke
1889 - 1914 Pastor C. F. Schmidt
1915 - 1951 Pastor Martin G. Reuther
1952 - 1962 Pastor John H. Biar
1958 - 1961 Pastor N. C. Schmoecker
1962 - 1967 Pastor Kevin D. Kuchel
1966 - 1968 Pastor Glen O. Schultz 2008
1964 - 1965 Pastor John Stephan
1968 - 1973 Pastor Lloyd V. John
1971 - 1976 Pastor Marcus J. Schultz
1974 - Pastor Rupert T. Burger 1911 1996
1976 - Pastor Alan G. Robinson
2022 ? - Pastor Greg Graham LCA
2022 ? - Pastor Graham Pfeffer


Built by E.F. Walcker of Ludwigsburg-Wrtt, Germany in 1898. Rebuilt in 1938 by Whitehouse Brothers of Brisbane. It has 1 manual, 4 speaking stops, tubular-pneumatic action. Rebuilt enlarged & installed in new church in 1960 by Whitehouse Brothers of Brisbane. Alterations made in 1990 by W.J. Simon Pierce of Brisbane. 2 manuals, 11 speaking stops, electro-pneumatic action.
A full description can be seen here.


1. 100 Years of Grace St John's Lutheran Church 1877 - 1977
2. Organ Historical trust of Australia.
3. Ryerson Index.
4. Wikipedia.