Burnie, TAS - St George's Anglican (8003)

Year Built: 1884

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: George

Address: 52 Mount Street, Burnie, Tasmania, 7320

Last Updated: 13/05/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

The first moves for the provision of an Anglican church at Burnie began in the mid-1840s after the visits of the Rev. Grigg from Circular Head and the Rev. Waterfield from the settlement at the Forth River. The Launceston Advertiser of 9 November 1844 under the heading Churches of the Interior reported: At the new but populous settlement of Emu Bay, a liberal subscription is also set on foot and promoted by the zeal and example of the Rev. Grigg, chaplain of Circular Head, in whose district Emu Bay is locally denominated, though at a distance of nearly fifty miles, and scarcely accessible from his residence except by sea.

The precise date of construction and opening of Burnie's first Anglican Church, a small paling and shingle building on a hill overlooking Emu Bay on land donated by the VDL Co. is not known, but it was probably between 1850 and 1851. Built by Thomas Wiseman, an early Burnie carpenter, shipbuilder and hotelier on a block on the northern side of Wilmot St and fronting onto Marine Terrace, was apparently in use by late 1850.

The foundation stone of the current church was laid on 1st February 1884 and the total cost was £1,000 of which £700 had been raised at the time of the opening. The nave of the church was opened for Divine Service by the Bishop of Tasmania, the Rt Rev. Daniel Fox Sandford, on Friday, 4 December 1885, nearly two years after the laying of the foundation stone.

There are two stones laid, one reads, " The Original Foundation stone of this Church was laid by W.M. Moore M.L.C. 1st February 1884". The second stone reads, "To the glory of God this stone was laid by the Rev G.F. Cranswick B.A. TH D Bishop of Tasmania 28th November 1959".

Clergy:

1982

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1853 - 1860 Rev Z P Pocock
1860 - 1865 Rev H E Drew
1866 - 1874 Rev Richard Smith
1875 - 1876 Rev H D Irwin
1877 - 1880 Rev Rowland Hayward
1881 - 1886 Rev Bernard K Bourdillon
1886 - 1887 Rev C W.G. Corfield
1887 - 1889 Rev W M Harrison
1890 - 1893 Rev C G Wilkinson M.A.
1894 - 1897 Rev G F.M. Fielding
1897 - 1919 Rev J Tyron Wilson
1908 - Mr John Hamilton Harrison Lay Reader 1880 1931
1919 - 1930 Rev Walter George Thomas
1920 - 1921 Rev Philip Charles Lee Curate
1925 - 1926 Rev Kennith John Hughes Curate
1926 - Rev Edward Charles Opie 1901 1983
1928 - Rev E Barnes Asst Curate
1929 - 1930 Rev Reginald Robert Noake Curate 1879 1953
1930 - 1933 Rev W Greenwood
1930 - 1933 Rev Leonard Lisle Oldham Asst Curate 1908 1983
1933 - 1942 Rev Francis Joseph McCabe
1934 - 1935 Rev H Davies Asst Curate
1937 - 1940 Rev M A.F. Downie Asst Curate
1939 - 1941 Rev T A Cloudsdale Asst Curate
1941 - 1945 Rev H G Biggs Asst Curate
1942 - 1945 Rev R C Brown Th.L
1945 - Rev C H Rose Asst Curate
1946 - 1947 Rev I J Brown Asst Curate
1946 - 1958 Rev Canon Kenneth John Hughes
1953 - 1956 Rev D L.J. Pearce Asst Curate
1956 - 1957 Rev J S Beaverstock Asst Curate
1957 - 1958 Rev A J Broadfield Asst Curate
1958 - 1973 Rev Canon Keith A Kay Th.L
1959 - 1960 Rev H J.M. Kerly Asst Curate
1960 - 1962 Rev C B Thomas Asst Curate
1962 - 1964 Rev P R Atkins Asst Curate
1964 - 1966 Rev W K Percey Asst Curate
1966 - 1969 Rev T C Milton Asst Curate
1969 - 1970 Rev G D Thurley Asst Curate
1971 - Rev B Gibson Asst Curate
1972 - 1973 Rev F Savage Asst Curate
1973 - 1983 Archdeacon M R Stanton
1974 - Rev J D Gibson Asst Curate
1975 - 1976 Rev E Cave Asst Curate
1976 - 1977 Rev D E.C. Lewis Asst Curate
1977 - Rev G A Jones Asst Curate
1977 - 1978 Rev W J Cuthbertson Asst Curate
1978 - 1980 Rev I J Marshall Asst Curate
1980 - Rev K J Box Asst Curate
1981 - 1982 Rev R Cartledge Asst Curate
1982 - 1983 Rev C J Archer Asst Curate
1983 - Archdeacon D W Warburtonq Th.L
1983 - Rev B A Curtis Asst Curate
2019 - Rev Phil Coghlan
2019 - Rev Alastair Crouch Asst

Organ:

The current Organ was built in 1960 by Davis & Laurie and incorporated pipework from first organ. For a full description click here.

Extracts:

1. A Place to Worship, A history of St George's Anglican Church Burnie. Kerry Pink.
2 Anglican Church 2000 Directory