Burra, SA - St Mary the Virgin Anglican (30388)

Year Built: 1879

Denomination: Anglican

Address: Market Street, Burra, South Australia, 5417

Last Updated: 24/10/2020

See Street View

Send your photos

History and Architecture:

The original church of St Mary’s was located at the junction of Ware and Church Streets in 1849. The land for the present church was donated by the South Australian Mining Association. It was built in the Gothic style and by the local firm of Sara & Dunstan to the design by G.F. McLagan, who came to live in Kooringa from Melbourne. The present Church was completed in 1879.

 

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1847 - 1854 Rev Jon Charles Bagshaw
1850 - 1854 Rev James Pollitt
1854 - 1861 Rev Denzel John Ibbetson
1861 - 1863 Rev John Fulford 1822 1905
1864 - 1874 Rev Lionel W Stanton
1874 - 1885 Rev Henry Howitt
1885 - 1891 Rev James Stewart Wayland
1892 - 1899 Rev Arthur George King
1899 - 1904 Rev Wilfred George Murphy
1904 - 1906 Rev Humphrey T Wightwick
1906 - 1910 Rev Harvey Langford Ebbs 1875 1947
1910 - 1918 Rev Sidney John Bloyd 1867 1941
1918 - 1921 Rev Henry Hopton Hopton 1881 1959
1921 - 1927 Rev Frank Beaumont Hewitson
1927 - 1933 Rev John Simpson Watt Coles 1871 1946
1933 - 1939 Rev Donald Llewellyn Redding 1898 1969
1939 - 1942 Rev William Christopher Gray 1909 2003
1942 - 1948 Rev Maxwell Pressland Cowle
1948 - 1953 Rev Reginald Stanley Pettett 1907 2000
1953 - 1958 Rev Lionel Rossiter Lenthall
1959 - 1964 Rev Thomas Godfrey Drought
1964 - 1968 Rev Geoffrey Dean Sibly
1968 - 1974 Rev John Henry Stephenson
1974 - 1975 Rev John Sydney Morley
1976 - Rev Barry John May

Organ:

Built by Dodd Sons Gunstar Organ Works.

Source:

Church of St Mary the Virgin Burra. 1879 - 1979