Camberwell South, VIC - St Mary's Anglican
Year Built: 1957
Address: Corner Toorak & Bowen Street, Camberwell South, Victoria, 3124
Architect: Rodney Alsop
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people
Last Updated: 23/01/2023
History and Architecture:
The establishment of a Church in South Camberwell was mooted in July, 1916, when the Vicar of our Mother Church, St. John's, Camberwell, the Rev. A. Roscoe Wilson, suggested to the Archbishop the purchase of land in the district for that purpose. It was recorded that the erection of a Church Hall in this area, to be known as St. Mary's, was definitely considered when the Vestry of St. John's accepted a tender of £1317 for the erection of such a Hall on land donated by a benefactor, Mr. John Payne, at the corner of Toorak Road and Bowen Street. The Foundation Stone of the Hall was blessed by the Venerable Archdeacon W. G. Hindley, and was laid on Saturday, 11th May, 1918.
The Foundation stone for the current church was laid on 2 November 1957 by Reverend C.R.C Tidmarsh. The Architect was Loius Williams and the builder was CA Johnson.
The Foundation stone reads, "This Stone was blessed by the Most Rev. J. J. Booth, C.M.G., M.C., D.D., Administrator of the Diocese, and laid by the Rev. C.R.C. Tidmarsh, Th.L., First Vicar of the Parish, 1920-1956, on 2nd November, 1957. Glory be to God. The Rt. Rev. Donald Redding, Vicar.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1920 - 1956||Rev C. R.C. Tidmarsh||1968|
|1957 - 1960||Rev Bishop D. L. Redding|
|1960 - 1963||Rev R. J. Lipp|
|1963 - 1965||Rev K. H. Roberts|
|1966 - 1976||Rev C. F. Withington||1922||1992|
|1976 - 1979||Rev Fred Bedbrook||2010|
|1976 -||Rev Alf Donnelly||Asst|
|1979 - 1981||Rev Victor Maddick|
|1981 - 1990||Rev John Wright|
|1991 -||Rev Eric Christianson||Locum|
|1991 - 2000||Rev David Guy Stanley Rathgen|
|2000 -||Rev David Smith||Locum|
|2000 - 2004||Rev Roger Ridley|
|2005 -||Rev Graeme Arthur Sells||Locum|
|2005 -||Rev Barry Green||Locum|
|2005 - 2010||Rev Andrew Ettles|
|2010 -||Rev Mark Hanson||Locum|
|2010 -||Rev Edwin Lang||Locum|
|2010 -||Rev Graeme Arthur Sells||Locum|
|2010 -||Rev Gordon Hargrave|
|2011 -||Rev Neville Mellor|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. History of the first 50 Years of the Anglican Church of St Mary's Camberwell South. LTP 283.94511 H24H.
2. Church website