Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican (7003)
Year Built: 1894
Last Updated: 27/07/2021
History and Architecture:
The church was consecrated in 1894. It was built and furnished at a cost of £450. Mr and Mrs H.J. Brock donated £300 towards the completion of the church. It was consecrated in November 1894 and was renovated in 1920.
The Rt. Rev. H. H. Montgomery, Bishop of Tasmania (father of Field Marshal Montgomery of El Alamein fame) would have found travelling around his diocese difficult. It is assumed that he travelled from Hobart to Campania by train, as his predecessor had done a few years earlier to the consecration of St. James' Church at Colebrook. He would have been met at the station by church dignitaries and conveyed to St. George's Church.
The service was taken by the Bishop, assisted by the incumbent of Richmond (the Rev. H.W. Hugill) and the Revs. J.K. Williams (Brighton), A.S. Babington (Green Ponds) and Mr. Hurst, lay reader (Richmond).
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1994 -||Rev Henry L Ivey|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. The story of St Georges Anglican Church Campania century 1894 - 1994 LSC P 283.94673 CAM