Canterbury, VIC - Tongan Uniting
Year Built: 1928
Last Updated: 30/12/2021
History and Architecture:
In 1890, a Methodist Church was built on the site with funding supplied by local residents. The current church was built in 1928. The Architect was Louis Williams and the Builder was A Richardson.
The walls are of clinker brick with bands of grilles in the brickwork to the gable ends. The steeply pitched roof is clad in glazed tiles and has exposed rafters. The corner tower has a parapet with crenellations and a hip roof surmounted by a weather vane.
By 1996, two buildings at the rear of the existing church were demolished: the original 1890 brick church (later used as a hall) and an adjacent timber hall.8 Subsequently a new, larger brick hall, designed by architects Keith Walter & Assoc, was constructed.
A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God in memory of Sir Aaron Danks K.B. This stone was laid by Rev C.C. Dugan M.A. D.B. 15th December".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1913 - 1915||Rev Charles F. Bremer||M Locum|
|1925 - 1928||Rev L Shears Saunders||M|
|1936 - 1941||Rev Gordon B. Campbell||M|
|1937 - 1942||Rev Eric Hans Orten Nye||M||1968|
|1938 - 1943||Rev Percy O. Parnaby||M||1971|
|1940 -||Rev Arthur J. Blanksby||M||1984|
|1941 - 1946||Rev Bernard L. Semmens||M|
|1949 - 1951||Rev Howard W. Abbey||M||2004|
|1951 - 1955||Rev Bernard L. Semmens||M|
|1955 - 1959||Rev George C. Harris||M|
|1960 -||Rev Ronald A. Owen||M|
|2021 -||Rev Salesi Faupula||U|
A two-manual organ of 18 stops built in 1929 by W L Roberts and one of the few examples of his work to remain intact. The focal point of the building, the instrument incorporates the pipework from an organ built in 1889 by George Fincham for the residence of S Stokes.. The organ retains its 1929 tonal scheme, attractive oak case and detached draw knob console.
1. Heritage Victoria.
2. Methodist Church of Australasia Ministerial Index.