Carlton, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1869

Denomination: Uniting

Address: Drummond Street, Carlton, Victoria, 3053

Previous Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist

Architect: Joseph Reed

Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people

Last Updated: 22/05/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

Originally a Wesleyan Methodist church it was designed by Joseph Reed and built between 1869 and 1870.

The first church, seating 120 people was opened on 17 February 1861. It cost 260 on completion. This church later became half the Sunday School Hall. Construction commenced on 29 December 1860 and it took only 6 weeks to build.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1919 - 1920 Rev Charles F Bremer M
1924 - 1925 Rev John T Freeman M
1951 - 1956 Rev Keith M Pither M
1956 - 1957 Rev Alfred E Foote M


The Organ was built by George Fincham in 1877. The Swell was added in 1886; restored 1991-92 by South Island Organ Company. It has 2 manuals, 15 speaking stops, 3 couplers, mechanical action.
For a full description and photos click here.


1. Methodist Minsters Australian Index
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.