Charters Towers, QLD - Uniting (50304)

Year Built: 1966

Denomination: Uniting

Address: 101 Gills Street, Charters Towers, Queensland, 4820

Previous Denomination: Methodist

Traditional Owners: Gudjal people

Last Updated: 28/09/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

The first church, Central Methodist Church, was built on the site and opened on the 19th October 1879. It was replaced by an impressive wooden building in September 1890. It was demolished in February 1966 to make way for the present octagonal structure. The new church building was completed in June 1966.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1919 - 1923 Rev Richard P. Pope M
1923 - 1924 Rev Norman H. Grimmett M
1924 - 1926 Rev John Murray M
1926 - 1928 Rev Eric E. Potter M
1930 - 1932 Rev Thomas Bainbridge M
1932 - 1935 Rev Tom H. Blackburn M
1935 - 1938 Rev Stanley Y. Potter M
1940 - 1944 Rev John Tulip M
1947 - 1950 Rev Walter Kidd M
1954 - 1958 Rev Ralph L. Hogg M
1958 - Rev Joseph O. Gunders M
2022 ? - Rev Arthur Tutin U

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1. Church website.
2. Methodist Church of Australasia Ministerial Index.