Clifton, QLD - All Saints Anglican
Year Built: 1905
Saint: All Saints
Address: Gammie Street, Clifton, Queensland, 4361
Traditional Owners: Jagera, Giabal, Jarowair people
Last Updated: 07/05/2023
History and Architecture:
The first church was erected in 1890. The second was built in 1905. The successful contractor was Mr. Stay of Allora. The floor has a vestry 'raised to 6 feet. A noticeable feature of the building is its great height compared to its size. This ensures breathing space and ventilation. The church proper, which seats 300, was built on 4 feet piles with the session house and slope from the main entrance to the back, which ensures a full view from every seat. A small round tower on the front part of the roof gives the building a striking appearance.
The foundation stone was laid by Mrs H. Fisher of Headington Hill with an address by the Anglican Bishop of Brisbane William Webber on Thursday 14 March 1889. It was dedicated later in 1889. In 1905 it was re-built and re-dedicated.
In the Brisbane Telegraph Newspaper of Saturday 11th November 1922 it stated " On Saturday 18th November his Grace will leave Nundah for Clifton, where he will give confirmation on Sunday, 19th November (1922).
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually. List of names updated 2023
|1903 - 1909||Rev Augustine Bithray Rowed||1868||1940|
|1909 - 1911||Rev Charles Edward Hughes||1867||1942|
|1911 - 1912||Rev Alfred Davies|
|1913 - 1916||Rev J. Elliott|
|1916 - 1918||Rev F. H. Higgins|
|1919 - 1925||Rev John Hope||1891||1971|
|1925 - 1928||Rev Edward Overton||1854||1930|
|1929 - 1930||Rev John Carmichael Ramsay||1882||1946|
|1931 - 1933||Rev James Tweedie||1871||1940|
|1933 -||Rev Charles Warren Tomkins||1875||1934|
|1934 - 1936||Rev Pender Osmond Brookes|
|1936 - 1942||Rev William Somerville Milne||1902||1968|
|1946 - 1949||Rev Fraser Charles Ham||1917|
|1954 - 1975||Rev Wilfred John Tomlinson||1907||1975|
|2011 -||Rev J Patteson|
|2020 ? -||Arch Deacon Laurel Raymond|
|1943 - 1946||Archdeacon Glover|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Cable Clerical Index with permission.
3. Brisbane Telegraph 11 Nov 1922.