Coburg, VIC - Wesleyan Methodist (former)
Year Built: 1857
Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist
Architect: T.J. Crouch
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people
Last Updated: 17/03/2023
History and Architecture:
The oldest Methodist Church in Victoria and the first built of blue stone.
On 5th August 1857, a foundation stone for a church was laid, designed by T.J. Crouch. A sealed bottle containing the following record was placed in the stone cavity beneath the corner stone together with a copy of Argus and Herald of the day:
"This stone was laid as the foundation stone of the Pentridge Wesleyan Methodist Chapel by the Honourable Nehemiah Gutheridge Esq: MLC on the 5th day of August 1857 being the one and twentieth year of the reign of Her Most Gracious Majesty Queen Victoria. His Excellency Sir Henry Barkly, Knt, Governor of this Colony of Victoria; Rev J.A. Manton, President of the Conference; Rev. D.J. Draper, Chairman of the District; Rev Harrison Waddington, Superintend of the Pentridge Circuit.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1912 - 1913||Rev Robert H. Green||And Brunswick|
|1913 - 1915||Rev Arthur G. Adamson||And Brunswick|
|1935 - 1938||Rev Frederick C. Ivory|
|1938 - 1943||Rev Alfred W. Guy|
|1945 - 1950||Rev Pearce B. Barber|
|1946 - 1951||Rev Thomas H. Indian|
|1951 - 1956||Rev Alexander G. Day|
|1956 - 1962||Rev Reginald A. Hunter|
|1962 -||Rev Eric Griffin|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Methodist Church of Australasia Ministerial Index