Coffs Harbour, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican
Year Built: 1972
Address: 2 McLean Street, Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, 2450
Traditional Owners: Gumbaynggirr people
Last Updated: 12/10/2022
History and Architecture:
Land at McLean Street allowed minimum development of a new church and the planned vicarage it seems that the new St John's had been built alongside the little St. John's to allow continuity of services. Diocesan records show that St. John's was built on Lots 1-30 which allowed for a vicarage. The architect/designer's name was Grant. The building cost $800.00 and the structure was of timber with an iron roof. If the $800.00 is correct this translates to four hundred pounds in the currency of the day.
The new church was dedicated on 28th May 1911 by the Right Rev'd H.E. Cooper Bishop of Armidale/Grafton. Newspaper and diocesan reports indicate a strengthening of the church in Rev'd St. John's term and records show that All Saints, Upper Orara, was erected and opened in his first year.
A plaque reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was set by The Bishop of Grafton (The Rt Rev R G Arthur) on August 12 1972 Rev Canon W L Sanders Rector".
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1909 - 1913||Rev Frederick De Porte St John||Curate||1879||1963|
|1913 - 1917||Rev William Ashley Brown|
|1917 - 1920||Rev Frederick William Hart||1864||1942|
|1916 - 1917||Rev Roy Kenneth Robinson||Locum||1886||1970|
|1920 - 1922||Rev Harold Woodger|
|1922 - 1944||Rev Leonard Lisle Oldham||1873||1966|
|1924 - 1925||Rev Arthur Ernest Preece|
|1926 - 1930||Rev George Wells|
|1930 - 1933||Rev Arthur Henry Lawford|
|1933 - 1937||Rev Charles Hubert Sorel Egerton|
|1938 - 1941||Rev Lancelot Caulston Ferris||1878||1946|
|1941 - 1949||Rev George Leney Hunt||1876||1957|
|1949 - 1958||Rev Oliver Norman Manny||1901||1974|
|1950 -||Rev Cyril Rockton King||Locum||1892||1976|
|1954 -||Rev Cyril Rockton King||Locum||1892||1976|
|1958 - 1977||Rev William Leslie Sanders||1912||1990|
|1978 - 1983||Rev Richard Warwick Hurford|
|1983 - 1991||Rev Alan Ormond Baker||1938|
|1992 - 1997||Rev Stephen Robert Pullin|
|1998 -||Rev Alan John Foster|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Cable Clerical Index.
2. A History of St John's Anglican Church 1899 - 1999. WHJ (Bill) Phillips. LS 283.099443 PHI