Colac, VIC - St John's Anglican (20148)
Year Built: 1870
Last Updated: 06/01/2021
History and Architecture:
The Church of St John's is a fine brick building set prominently on a busy corner in the midst of the old residential area of the town.
The present building replaces the first church on the site, which was dedicated to St John the Evangelist. The new building constructed from plans prepared by Messrs Henderson and Davidson was opened on 8 May 1870, the Feast of the Nativity of John the Baptist and was consecrated on 18 April 1882. In recognition of the date of its opening, the new church is also dedicated to St John the Baptist.
In the 1950s extensions were made with the addition of a chapel and vestries designed by Louis Williams, the original building and the extension being not only in sympathy but also much alike.
This fine building was extensively refurbished and re-ordered for modern worship on the occasion of its centenary. It continues to be the spiritual home of successive generations of Colac and district Anglicans, along with St Andrew's Alvie, and Christ Church Birregurra.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1901 - 1906||Rev A. E Peacock|
|1901 - 1913||Rev J. H. McFarlaine|
|1903 - 1904||Rev William. Osman Jessop|
|1904 -||Reader F. R Lane|
|1906 - 1907||Rev Henry Elleker Lewin||1868||1946|
|1907 - 1908||Rev J. N Phillips)||Asst C|
|1927 - 1929||Rev P. Lynch|
|1929 - 1935||Rev D K McConchie|
|1935 - 1942||Rev J. A. McQueen|
|1953 - 1962||Rev John Lowry Price|
|1960 - 1961||Rev John Colin Haugh||Asst C|
|1962 - 1973||Rev Douglas Robert Stewart|
|1967 - 1969||Rev Edward Robert Steele||Asst C|
|1981 - 1989||Rev Arthur Mellish Savage|
|1984 - 1986||Rev N. B. Mitchell|
|1993 - 1996||Rev J. B. McGlashan||Asst C|
|1995 -||Rev Terrence Francis Gross||Asst C||1945|
|1996 - 1999||Rev D H Kirk|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.