Coogee, NSW - St Nicholas Anglican
Year Built: 1906
Traditional Owners: Bidjigal and Gadigal people
Last Updated: 14/09/2023
History and Architecture:
The Foundation stone was laid by the Bishop of Sydney Bishop Alfred Barry D.D. on 18 December 1886. The following year St. Nicolas Anglican was consecrated. In 1905 the church building was almost completed destroyed by fire. The Church was re built along similar lines as the original church and reopened in 1906.
Between 1917 and 1944, St. Nicolas Coogee was instrumental in establishing other surrounding churches at Maroubra, Clovelly, Matraville, Malabar and South Coogee.
A full Church history can be viewed here.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1890 - 1891||Rev Joseph Campbell||Curate||1856||1933|
|1899 - 1902||Rev William Greenwood||1852||1942|
|1900 -||Rev John William Ferrier||Catechist||1875||1960|
|1902 - 1936||Rev William Greewood||1852||1942|
|1911 -||Rev William John Edwards||Catechist||1891||1967|
|1913 - 1914||Rev Frederick Ambrose Carr||Catechist||1890||1953|
|1916 - 1917||Rev Willie Vaux Gurnett||Curate||1884||1964|
|1917 - 1921||Rev Charles Lindesay Williams||Curate||1887||1964|
|1921 - 1923||Rev Frederick Ambrose Carr||Curate||1890||1953|
|1923 - 1928||Rev Raymond Stafford Chapple||1899||1966|
|1928 -||Mr Gilby Smith Gray||Reader||1890||1974|
|1931 - 1933||Rev Cecil John Faulkner||Curate||1899||1983|
|1931 - 1934||Rev Frederick Herbert Meyer||Curate||1890||1968|
|1933 - 1933||Rev Walter James Archibald Daniels||Catechist||1905||1980|
|1936 - 1965||Rev Arthur Patrick Wade||1894||1973|
|1953 - 1956||Rev Harry Henningham||Catechist 53||1909||1979|
|1960 - 1962||Rev R. N. Beard|
|1966 - 1980||Rev Ernest Osbourne Harding||1914||1993|
|2015 -||Rev Craig Segaert|
|2023 -||Rector Peter Greenwood|
The George Fincham organ was originally built in 1885 for Christ Church, Newcastle and was displaced from there by a much larger Norman & Beard instrument in 1906. It is now the only substantially original 19th century Fincham organ to survive in NSW. Restoration in two stages has been carried out by Pitchford and Garside; first in 1982 and then in 1984.
For a full description and photos click here.
1. Cable Clerical Index with permission.
2. Organ Music Society of Sydney with permission.