Creswick, VIC - St Augustine's Catholic

Year Built: 1872

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Augustine

Address: 117 Napier Street, Creswick, Victoria, 3363

Architect: Charles Hansom

Traditional Owners: Dja Dja Wurrung people

Last Updated: 03/03/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (3 photos)

History and Architecture:

Creswick Catholics were served first by priests who came form Ballarat when Ballarat itself was still part of Coburg parish. The first traceable ref isa newspaper note in 1855 was that Father Patrick Madden celebrated Mass at Creswick Creek on March 8, in the new store of Messrs. Carter and Walker. Father assisting Fr. Smyth. The latter was prominent in the story of Eureka Councelling moderation before the event.

A bluestone church with freestone dressings, built in 1870-72 to the design of English architect Charles Hansom, and supervised by H R Caselli. A chancel and sacristy were added in 1938.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1858 - Father McGirr
1862 - 1862 Father John Galvin Williams
1862 - Father John Power
- Father J. Skehan
- Father T. O'Donnell
1876 - 1880 Father R. F. Fennelly
1901 - 1908 Father Daniel Foley
1909 - 1917 Father J. J. Walsh
1927 - 1941 Father S. O'Rouke
1943 - 1950 Father M. H. Gaffney
1951 - Rev J. McInerney
1970 - Father A. Van Leest


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.


1. Murderer's Bell by Mgr J.E. McInerey The Centenary History of St Augustine's Creswick. LTP 282.9453 M18M
2. Internal photo National Heritage website.