Daylesford, VIC - St Peter's Catholic
Year Built: 1863
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Architect: William W Wardell
Last Updated: 06/06/2023
History and Architecture:
A Gothic church designed by Willilam Wardell in 1863 rather in the manner of Charles Hansom, but later degraded by the rebuilding of the west end after the collapse of the west wall and turret,
The church is a simple form with a five bay gabled nave containing geometric decorated gothic windows and stepped buttressing. The gable roof is covered in slate and the sidewalls constructed of rough-hewn local stone.
Originally, the church had a tower in the southwest corner but this was demolished due to earth movement resulting from tunnelling in the town.
A wall plaque reads, "Church of St Peter, Prince of the Apostles. The foundation stone was laid on Novemebr 29th 1863 and the church was blessed and opened on May 14th 1865 by Most Rev James Alipius Goold OSA D D Bishop of Melbourne. This stone was blessed to commemorate the 125th anniversary by Most Rev Sir Thomas Francis Little, DD KBE Archbishop of Melbourne May 20th 1990".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|2022 -||Father Gary A. James|
|2023 -||Father Justin Driscoll|