Denman, NSW - St Matthias Anglican
Year Built: 1875
Address: 50 Palace Street, Denman, New South Wales, 2328
Architect: John Horbury Hunt
Traditional Owners: Wanaruah people
Last Updated: 16/04/2023
History and Architecture:
A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This Centenary stone was blessed on 2-11-1975 by Ian Ninth Bishop of Newcastle to commemorate the consecration of this Church 4-11-1875 and the formation of the Parish of Denman 1-1-1876 J.H. West Th L Rector".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1876 - 1903||Rev Charles Markham Mills||1847||1932|
|1903 - 1907||Rev Harold Spencer Portus||1874||1941|
|1907 - 1911||Rev Montague George Herbert Garbett||1862||1947|
|1911 - 1916||Rev Arthur George King||1862||1941|
|1914 - 1915||Rev Horace Hobart||Locum||1886||1968|
|1918 - 1920||Rev Keith Stewart Creswell Single||1887||1951|
|1921 -||Rev Reginald Dudley Pontifex||1880||1921|
|1921 - 1925||Rev Leonard Ayscough||1885||1942|
|1925 - 1926||Rev Bicton Clemence Wilson||1881||1945|
|1926 - 1933||Rev William Holmes||1889||1959|
|1933 - 1937||Rev Walter Emra Burkitt||1891||1947|
|1937 -||Rev Charles Mortimer Thomas||1865||1947|
|1937 - 1941||Rev James Athelston Smith|
|1941 - 1946||Rev Frank Raymond Elder||1888||1962|
|1947 - 1953||Rev John Brown Neville|
|1953 - 1960||Rev Roscoe Ward Lowe Ayscough||1915||1966|
|1981 -||Rev Milton Wallace Williams||1907||1993|
The organ was built in 1876 by J.W. Walker & Sons of London, as a single manual instrument with only two stops (both of 8ft pitch). Earlier this century, T.C. Edwards added four original stops (+) on exhaust tubular-pneumatic action, the original pipework remaining tracker. Rebuilt in 1979 by Brown & Arkley. It has 1m., 6 sp.st., 2c., tr. & el.pn.
A full decription and photos can be seen here.
1. Cable Clerical Index with permission.
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia