Devonport, TAS - St Columba Presbyterian
Year Built: 1957
Architect: A.A. Freak
Traditional Owners: Palawa people
Last Updated: 24/04/2023
History and Architecture:
The first Presbyterian church in Devonport briefly used the Congregational Church and then the Devonport Town Hall.
Throughout the building of the Church many members of the Board of Management and Session, plus other committees were led by Rev "Bert" Scrimgeour who, with practical knowledge, endeared himself to all who knew him. The original Church is now the hall and is used for Sunday School.
The mezzanine floor and associated work cost $37,000. Much of this was raised by Miss Jean Nichols and a wonderful group of workers who held regular stalls. The new entrance cost $18,000 and this was entirely financed by monthly stalls organised by Mrs Brenda Roberts.
A Foundation stone was laid on 16 December 1956, for a new church, was officially laid by Rev. F.J. Scrimgeour, on a site adjacent to the earlier building, The church was officially opened and dedicated, as St Columba’s, on 12 October 1957, by the State Moderator, the Rt. Rev. K. McLean.
The building was designed by architect Mr. A. A. Freak.
For a full history visit Churches of Tasmania. Click here.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1903 - 1906||Rev D Brown|
|1907 - 1911||Rev S Byron|
|1912 - 1917||Rev D J. Jones|
|1918 - 1919||Rev J. M Dabb|
|1920 - 1924||Rev R Rankin|
|1925 - 1933||Rev F. J. Thomas|
|1933 - 1938||Rev L Clayton|
|1939 - 1953||Rev A. R Barnett|
|1953 - 1954||Rev S Vertigan||Locum|
|1954 - 1959||Rev R J. Scrimgeour|
|1960 -||Rev A. A. McKenzie||Locum|
|1960 -||Rev K Forbes Ewan||Locum|
|1961 - 1965||Rev D V. Morey|
|1965 - 1966||Rev C. E Hipwell||Locum|
|1966 - 1969||Rev G L Stewart|
|1970 - 1973||Rev J. C McDiarmid||1896||1990|
|1974 -||Mr John Saunders||Lay Reader|
|1975 - 1977||Rev R W.F. White|
|1978 - 1979||Mr John Saunders||Lay Reader|
|1980 - 1981||Rev Arthur J Blazely||Locum||1984|
|1980 - 1984||Rev P W. Playsted||Lay Reader until 1982|
|1985 - 1989||Rev J. W. Britton|
|1992 - 1996||Rev T S. Penning|
|1998 - 2001||Rev D C Geddes|
|2002 -||Rev S C Warwick|
|2020 -||Rev Andrew Satchell|
The organ was built in 1960 by Paul F. Hufner. Rebuilt in 1971 by K.R. Davis & Son. Rebuilt again and enlarged in 1978 by Laurie Pipe Organs (new windchest and tonal addihons). Renewed in 1993 by Australian Pipe Organs (new switching). It has 2m., 5 rks. + mixture ext., el.pn.
1. Churches of Tasmania
2. Blessed Presbyterian Church Devonport 1904 - 2004. TAS REF 286.294632 PAT.
3. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.
4. The Church website click here