Diamond Creek, VIC - St John's Anglican (20011)

Year Built: 1867

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: John

Address: Corner Hyde & Main Street, Diamond Creek, Victoria, 3089

Last Updated: 08/02/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The first recorded Church of England services were conducted by the Rev. Francis Hales. In 1860 Diamond Creek came under the jurisdiction of the Eltham parish - with the Rev R Mackie, and then the Rev Josiah Hollis as vicars.

The building was designed by Charles Maplestone of Heidelberg, son-in-law to Anthony Beale of St Helena. Maplestone was a prominent architect who came out to Australia with his family in 1852. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs Isabella Maplestone on 11th November 1867.

The bricklayers for the church were G Stebbins, H Limmer, H Spicer and a Mr Timm while Thomas Day was the stonemason. Another three years were to pass before sufficient money could be raised for its completion. It was opened by Bishop Perry on 1st November, 1870.*

The church bell which hung under a tree for 50 years until it was incorporated in the parish hall was brought out from England and presented by Charles Orme.*

In 1916, the estate of George Martin Pizzey left sufficient money to build the red brick hall, which still stands today.*

In 2011 further alterations were made to the front of the Church.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1867 - 1869 Rev Josiah Hollis 1826 1887
1869 - 1873 Rev Andrew Brown
1874 - 1880 Rev Arthur Joseph Pickering 1835 1914
1880 - 1888 Rev John Boyle Gason
1888 - 1890 Rev William Thomas Price 1827 1892
1890 - 1897 Rev Arthur Pelham Chase B.A. 1858 1947
1897 - 1904 Rev Thomas Waklin Davis 1853 1933
1904 - 1915 Rev William Green 1847 1945
1911 - 1918 Rev John Stanley Wells M.A.
1918 - 1923 Rev William Fenwick Pattison 1882 1952
1923 - Rev John Samuel Woods
1923 - 1930 Rev Archibald Henry Constable 1872 1947
1930 - 1937 Rev Ernest Louis Renard Panelli
1937 - 1945 Rev Alfred James Bamford 1893 1990
1945 - 1951 Rev Charles Percy Young M.A.
1951 - 1954 Rev Leopold George Ball M.A.
1954 - 1957 Rev Richmond James McCall
1957 - 1958 Rev Wilfred Stanley Dau 1895 1969
1958 - 1961 Rev Geoffrey Edgar Moorhouse
1962 - 1966 Rev John Michael Furmedge
1966 - 1972 Rev Roy Gabb 1923
1972 - 1978 Rev A T.D. Dalling
1979 - 1982 Rev E. S. Lang
1985 - 1995 Rev Barry Warren Green 1937
1995 - 1996 Rev V. P Lord Asst
1996 - 2000 Rev S J. Hale 1955
2002 - 2010 Rev D D Nicolios
2013 - Rev Tim Johnson

Source:

1. Second Jubilee. History of St John's Church of England Diamond Creek 1867 - 1967. SLT 283.9451C81SE
2. The Australian Anglican Directory 2000
3. Trove