Dingley, VIC - Christ Church Anglican (20996)
Last Updated: 02/11/2021
History and Architecture:
A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by The Revd J.H. Gregory 12th February 1873".
A Plaque near the church entrance reads,
The Church was built by the generosity and vision of Mary Attenborough. Mary and her brother Thomas migrated to Australia from Dingley, Northamptonshire, England in 1853 Mary was a lady of strong and practical Christian faith known for her care of the needy. She also gathered her friends regularly to a "Prayer Shed" to spend time in prayer and worship. Her vision to build a Church that would be the centre of worship and ministry to the people was fulfilled when the Church was dedicated on the 21st of September 1873 Mary died 3 years later in 1876. The stained glass windows on the right side of the Church were given in her memory. Four of them show her caring for the poor and sick and sitting at the feet of Jesus. She bequeathed 70 acres of land to provide for continued Christian ministry. The Church building designed by Charles Webb and Associates.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1876 -||Rev Henry Plow Kane|
|1926 - 1929||Rev Thomas Tinniswood||1868||1948|
|1929 - 1930||Rev Henry William Russell Topp||1876||1939|
|1931 - 1932||Rev Francis William Slade||1877||1948|
|1932 -||Rev Ernest Selwyn Hughes||Curate||1860||1942|
|1932 - 1934||Rev Walter George Thomas||1881||1973|
|1934 - 1945||Rev Charles John Peterson||1875||1954|
|1951 - 1955||Rev Arthur Banks||1885||1956|
|1958 - 1960||Rev John Siddell||1911||1992|
|1963 - 1969||Rev Sydney James Muxworthy||1898||1996|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Church plaque
2. Cable Clergy Index.