Dromana, VIC - St Mark's Anglican (20505)

Year Built: 1892

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: Mark

Address: Corner Point Nepean & Odonohue Roads, Dromana, Victoria, 3936

Last Updated: 14/02/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

Construction of St Mark's of Dromana was commenced in 1892. Prior to this, regular services had been held in private homes. Between 1885 and 1892, the Union church on the corner of Heales Street and Point Nepean Road was used by the Anglican congregation. In August 1892 George Morce won the tender for the building of the new church to the design of Hyndman and Bates, architects.

The Foundation stone was laid on 7 November 1892 by the Bishop of Melbourne.

George Morce and his brother Tom originally came from Cardiff in Wales. George arrived in Queensland in 1862 and later moved to Williamstown before moving to Sorrento in 1873 to work on St John's Anglican Church. Other buildings completed by Morce, include the Mornington Hotel and the Sorrento Police Station.

The Anglican congregation celebrated their first service in St Mark's in April 1893. From this date until 1960 St Mark's was included in the parish of Mornington and Sorrento. The parish hall was added in 1958 and in 1989 the parish office and opportunity shop were added.

St Mark's Church is a simple Neo-gothic design constructed in rusticated limestone with red brick quoins. It consists of a nave with a smaller chancel section and a single porch entrance wing to one side including a bell tower. The windows are stained leadlight with the exception of the two front side windows. The gable end has rendered parapets. A new extension to the rear of the church is constructed of concrete and red brick in an attempt at harmony.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1876 - 1888 Rev Thomas Quinton
1879 - Rev Alexander Maxwell 1856 1933
1886 - 1890 Rev Arthur Pelham Chase 1858 1947
1891 - 1898 Rev Frederick William Willcox 1859 1905
1898 - 1902 Rev Mervyn Moss Whitton 1842 1921
1902 - 1914 Rev Edwin Charles Rodda 1844 1917
1914 - 1916 Rev Richard Sherwood 1880 1970
1916 - 1918 Rev Eric Thomas Thornton 1889 1981
1918 - 1920 Rev William Henry Henderson 1887 1968
1920 - 1923 Rev Edwin Warner 1887 1967
1923 - 1924 Rev Frank Ellis Thornton 1885 1978
1924 - 1926 Rev Harry Joseph Harvey 1865 1950
1926 - 1932 Rev Charles Parker Lee 1881 1937
1927 - 1928 Rev George Cox 1871 1946
1932 - 1935 Rev Alexander Falconer 1886 1968
1935 - 1941 Rev Frederick Godfrey Hughes 1889 1966
1941 - 1947 Rev Clifton Plessy Brown 1882 1963
1959 - Rev Wilfred Lansdell Clarke Locum 1887 1967
1960 - 1974 Rev John Davies 1914 2002
1974 - 1984 Rev Edward Charles Smith
1983 - 1987 Rev Murray J. Morton
1988 - 1991 Rev William Bernard Peacock
1995 - Rev Peter Victor Williams PiC 1956
2019 - Rev Paul Woodcock

Organ:

No information currently available, submissions welcomed

Source:

1. St Mark's in Time. Rosemary Kerr. ISBN 0 646 11693 2
2. Cable Clergy Index.