Drouin, VIC - Scot's Presbyterian
Year Built: 1959
Traditional Owners: Bunurong people
Last Updated: 14/02/2022
History and Architecture:
From an unknown date until November 1880, the Presbyterians of Drouin worshipped in the Anglican Church building, then situated at 30 Grant Street. A Presbyterian Charge was established in the district as early as 1876 and that the first service was conducted by Rev. W. L. Morton at the "Lardner Track School" in October of that year.
Plans for the first Church and tenders for its construction were invited on 1st May 1880. The materials were supplied by the Board of Management and a contract for the work was let to Mr. W. Webb on 21st July. The opening took place on 12th December. A Rev. Mr. McVean presided at the service. This weatherboard building accommodated the congregation at worship for almost 79 years, until it was succeeded by the present brick building in October 1959.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1880 - 1891||Mr Wlash||Lay Reader|
|1892 - 1894||Rev Robert R. Paton|
|1894 -||Mr J. Millar Smith||Home Mission|
|1907 - 1911||Rev Aeneas McDonald|
|1912 - 1914||Rev Herbert E. Hunt|
|1914 -||Rev A. Goodall||Locum|
|1920 - 1922||Rev H. H. Childs|
|1923 - 1925||Rev A. C. Sanderson|
|1927 - 1933||Mr James Irons||Lay Reader|
|1939 - 1942||Rev S. C. Calder|
|1943 - 1947||Rev E. M. Baird|
|1947 - 1952||Rev John W.P. Gillan|
|1953 - 1962||Rev J. J.W. Scott|
|1962 - 1968||Rev Gordon Johnson|
|1968 - 1971||Rev Gareth J. Rees|
|1972 - 1978||Rev M. Alan Thompson|
|1979 -||Mr W. Forth||Lay Reader|
|1980 -||Rev Robert A. Humpherys|
|2008 -||Rev Mark Smith|
|2012 -||Rev Heath Easton||Asst / 2017 full time|
|2019 -||Rev Stephen Jones|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Scots Presbyterian Church Drouin 125 Years of Christian Witness 1880 - 2005. LH 285.29456 SCO