Dubbo, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Denomination: Anglican

Address: 158 Brisbane Street, Dubbo, New South Wales, 2830

Architect: Edmund Blacket

Traditional Owners: Wiradjuri people

Last Updated: 05/07/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)


History and Architecture:

The church was designed by Edmund Blacket, the builder of the church was W. Moffit at a cost of £ 3,500 and the stone used in the construction was quarried near the Macquarie River in West Dubbo. The building took 12 months to complete. The shape of the Church is cruciform.

In 1859, the first Church and parsonage was built by Adam Gordon on the S.W. corner of Section 14. at a cost of £480. "In 1862, Mr. Ball came to Dubbo and formed a Church committee. "In 1864, Metropolitan Bishop Barker was in Dubbo. At a meeting presided over by Police Magistrate Marsh, it was decided to secure the services of a resident clergyman for Dubbo. "In June, 1885, the Rev. W. Coomber arrived in Dubbo and in March. 1874, he resigned and the Rev. J. of Rylestone, succeeded him. In April, 1878, the Rev Henry Wright was appointed to the incumbency of the parish in the room of Rev. J. 11. Mullins. "The next clergyman was the Rev Dunstan, who left Dubbo in 1861 and was succeeded by the Rev. J. F. Mullins.

A Foundation stone reads, " On the 10th day of April 1875 this Foundation stone of this Church was laid to the Glory of God by the Right Hounouable Sir Alfred Stephen P.C. G.C.M.G. C.B. Chief Justice 1844 - 1873 Lieutenant Governor 1874 - 1891".

A Foundation stone reads, " This tower was erected and these bells installed by the parishioners to the honour and in Abiding memory of those from the parish of Dubbo who served in The Great War 1914 - 1918 George Merrick Long CBE D.D. Bishop of Bathurst 17th Dec 1922".

A further stone reads, " To commemorate the Centenary Service 21st March 1976 in the presence of the Governor of NSW His Excellency Sir Roden Cutler V.C.K.M.C. C.B.E. B.E. K st J".

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1865 - 1874 Rev Willaim Coombes 1818 1896
1857 - Rev William Watson 1798 1866
1874 - Rev J. Mullins
1877 - Rev Francis William Clarke Reader 1857 1920
1878 - 1879 Rev Edwin Henry Wright Curate 1843 1937
1880 - 1890 Rev David Henry Dillion Curate 1857 1922
1881 - Rev John Carpenter Bravey Rural Dean 1840 1882
1881 - 1892 Rev Frederick Sydney Wilson Rural Dean 1839 1901
1882 - 1884 Rev James Kirkpatrick Black Rural Dean 1831 1904
1890 - 1891 Rev Peter Presswell Locum 1849 1929
1901 - Rev Francis Witherby Locum 1836 1901
1902 - Rev Reuben Coverdale Reader 1871 1958
1902 - 1904 Rev Frederick Henry Campion Curate 1872 1957
1904 - 1907 Rev Robert Barry Brown Rural Dean 1858 1935
1911 - 1914 Rev George Huntley Rae Curate 1877 1950
1912 - 1915 Rev Charles Shearer Robertson Curate 1889 1965
1923 - 1924 Rev Frederick William Roberts Curate 1900 1980
1930 - 1931 Rev Arthur Samuel Rowe Asst 1888 1953
1940 - 1941 Rev Harry Reginald Thorpe Curate 1907 1990
1948 - 1959 Rev Montague D'Arcy Collins 1889 1959

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1. Church Website.
2. Cable Clerical Index.
3. Dubbo Dispatch and Wellington Independant 9th April 1931.