East Devonport, VIC _ St Paul's Anglican
Year Built: 1879
Address: 15 Thomas Street, East Devonport, Tasmania, 7319
Architect: William Gadsby
Traditional Owners: Palawa people
Last Updated: 12/03/2023
History and Architecture:
The Church was built between 1876-79 at a cost of £425 to the design of architect William Gadsby. It was opened in July 1879.
A Foundation stone reads, " The Foundation stone reads thus, Church of St Paul foundation stone laid 13th December 1876 Consecrated March 1882 Rev G.F. (?Archer) Incumbent".
An arson attack occurred in 2001 and after suffering another in 2019 the task of repairing St Paul's Anglican Church commenced. It was estimated to cost over $200,000 according to the Vicar Father Tongue.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1891 - 1898||Rev Stephen Henry Hughes||1859||1934|
|1960 - 1962||Rev George James Knott||1910||1968|
|1962 - 1972||Rev Cedric Blake Thomas||1911||1987|
|2019 -||Rev Tongue|
Built in c.1864 by Jesse Biggs for private use. Installed in the prsent location in 1890. Restored between 1974-75 by Laurie Pipe Organs. Restored again in 2001 Hans by Meijer after fire in church. The Organ has 1m., 7 sp.st., pedal pulldowns, tr. Man: 184.108.40.206.4.2. Ped: 16.
For a full history click here.
1. Examiner Newspaper.
2. Cable Clergy Index.
3. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.