East Malvern, VIC - St Mary's Immaculate Conception Catholic
Year Built: 1920
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: 91 Manning Road, East Malvern, Victoria, 3145
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people
Last Updated: 13/04/2021
History and Architecture:
In 1891, on Sunday, December 13th, Archbishop Thomas Carr blessed and opened a new timber station church (on the site of the current presbytery) for the parish of St. Stephen’s, Oakleigh at a place named Emo, after the Emo Estate. Today, on that same block of land purchased for £542, the buildings of St. Mary’s Catholic Parish stand. They include the school commenced in 1916, the church 1920, the presbytery 1931, and the parish hall 1969. The grounds incorporate extensive gardens and recreational facilities.
In 1917 the church was destroyed by fire. In 1918 fund raising commenced for a new church. Five thousand people gathered for the blessing of a school-hall by Archbishop Daniel Mannix on Sunday, June 30th, 1918. This became the Mass centre.
The foundation stone of this building is part of the school complex and is located in the school office wall. On Easter Sunday, 4th April, 1920 Archbishop Mannix blessed and laid the foundation stone for the new church, under the patronage of St. Mary the Immaculate Conception.
A full history can be seem on the Church website. Click here.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|2020 -||Monsignor Stuart Hall|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.