Eltham, VIC - Our Lady Help of Christian Catholic
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people
Last Updated: 28/05/2022
History and Architecture:
The Architects were Gerard Smith, Diana Iezzi, Smith & Tracey Architects and the Builders were Clark Frigo, Conrad Constructions and Management.
The stained glass windows on the west wall depict the Passion, Death, Resurrection and the presence of the Spirit of Christ in the parish of Our Lady Help of Christians since its inception. The window on the left represents the crucifixion and all that is chaos, sin and suffering. Depicted as a bushfire over Eltham, it tells the history of our first Churches near Diamond Creek.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|Father Michael Sierakowski
|Father Terry Kean
Built in 1868 the organ is one of Finchams' earliest. It was first installed in All Saints' Church, East St. Kilda. In 1872 a second manual was added, but due to its small size the organ was not the most suitable for this church, famous for its choir and architecture. It was sold in 1924 to St. Andrews Church, Clifton Hill, where it was installed without modification.
When the Anglican Church decided to demolish St. Andrews in 1974, the organ was put into storage, from which organ-loving parishioner Dr. Henry Rossell rescued it.
1. Church website.