Eltham, VIC - St Margaret's Anglican
Year Built: 1861
Address: Pitt Street, Eltham, Victoria, 3095
Architect: Nathaniel Billing
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people
Last Updated: 09/07/2022
History and Architecture:
The land on which St Margaret's Church and Vicarage stands was donated by Henry Dendy, a well known Melbourne pioneer and wealthy land owner. Dendy later moved to England returning and residing in Eltham again. He chaired a meeting held in 1860 for the purpose of devising a means of establishing a Church of England in the township.
The foundation stone was laid by the Reverend Septimus Llyod Chase of St Paul's Melbournon 4 April 1861.
The church was erected in 1861 and officially opened on 12 December of the same year. It is the oldest intact church building in Eltham. The first vicar was the Reverend Robert Mackie, from 1864 to 1866. St Margaret's builder was a local, George Stebbing, and the architect was Nathaniel Billing.
Constructed in the Gothic Revival tradition, this early polychrome brick structure has a central turret with bell housing, the patterned brickwork has been achieved using lines of manganese brick headers arranged in geometric patterns. It is an early and restrained example of patterned brick work. It was the first polychromatic church in Australia, using softly contrasting colonial brickwork.
St Margaret's was originally called 'Christ Church' until its consecration in 1871, when it was completely free of debt £1700 for the church and parsonage despite the poverty of the district. This was largely due to the free labour and materials; including local bricks, donated by local artisans and others. About half the windows -those in clear glass with gold borders - are original. The stained glass windows were made much later, but the one behind the altar is the oldest in Diamond Valley according to the National Trust. It was to be temporary until the congregation could afford to extend the church.
In 1978 the existing weatherboard hall named Gibson Hall was replaced by a mud brick building designed by local Architect Robert Marshall.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1864 - 1866||Rev Robert Mackie|
|1866 - 1869||Rev Josiah Hollis||1826||1887|
|1871 - 1874||Rev Andrew Brown||1834||1898|
|1874 - 1879||Rev Arthur Joseph Pickering||Lay Reader||1835||1914|
|1880 - 1888||Rev John Gason||1856||1915|
|1888 - 1890||Rev William Thomas Price||1827||1892|
|1889 - 1890||Rev Edward George Higgin||Lay Reader||1861||1934|
|1890 - 1897||Rev Arthur Pelham Chase||1858||1947|
|1897 - 1904||Rev Thomas Waklin Davis||1853||1933|
|1904 - 1915||Rev William Green||1945|
|1915 - 1922||Rev Thomas Henry Sapsford||1871||1925|
|1922 - 1929||Rev James Arthur Peck||1873||1944|
|1929 - 1931||Rev Frederick Edgar Henry Tolhurst||1895||1957|
|1931 - 1940||Rev Tamillas Robert Mappin||1892||1965|
|1933 - 1936||Rev Frederick Joseph Price||Curate||1862||1950|
|1940 - 1949||Rev Arthur Thomas Roberts||1907||1992|
|1949 - 1952||Rev R. G. Long|
|1951 - 1955||Rev John Fenton Gibbons||1909||1970|
|1956 - 1960||Rev David Brooke Warner||1927|
|1960 - 1964||Rev W. J. Carter|
|1964 - 1969||Rev C. D.H. Lonfield|
|1969 - 1972||Rev Kenneth John Brierty||1933||2019|
|1972 - 1979||Rev Ian Frederic Brown|
|1978 - 1981||Rev T. J. Olds||Asst|
|1979 - 1989||Rev Ronald Lindsay Dowing||1947|
|1989 - 1996||Rev V. H. Rogers|
|1997 - 2001||Rev E. A. Mathieson|
|2001 -||Rev Elizabeth Joy Delbridge|
|2019 -||Rev Keren Terps|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. The Australian Anglican Directory 2000
2. Saint Margarets Anglican Church Eltham, celebrating 150 years by Geoffrey A Sandy.
3. Cable Clergy Index.
4. Nillumbik Now and Then. Margaret Marshall