Emerald, QLD - St Luke's Anglican (50199)

Year Built: 1958

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: Luke

Address: 40 Theresa Street, Emerald, Queensland, 4720

Traditional Owners: Gayiri people

Architect: John Hamer Howorth

Last Updated: 15/07/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

In 1894 a special meeting of Anglican parishioners was called at 8pm at Presbyterian Church. A building committee was formed for raising money and building an English Church in Emerald. Only one year later the Bishop of Rockhampton, Nathanial Dawes. D.D. travelled to Emerald on 11th Aug 1895 for the dedication of Saint Luke's Church, a typical wooden bush Gothic Church.

The original Church had most of its furnishings destroyed by fire on 16th October 1907but was itself relatively undamaged.

It was decided to build a new church of brick in an effort to "forestall fire and tooth". A group of people which included R. Donaldson, Des Jeppeson Ron Lamont, Vic Coombes, Norman Gibson and Mrs. Irene Donaldson were soon on a money raising programme to make the building possible. Work began on 11th March, 1954, and it was only eight months later, 1st November 1954, that the dedication service took place. The Church cost 6,000 Pounds.  Rev John Hamer Howorth designed the Church.

A Foundation stone reads, " Gloria in Excelsis Deo Saint Luke's Parish Emerald This foundation stone was laid & dedicated by the Right Reverend James G. Housden BA Thd Bishop of Rockhampton Tuesday 11th March 1958 Vicar Rev John Hamer Howorth Church wardens Edward T. Aveyard George A.E. Otte - The first Church on this site was dedicated by Bishop Nathaniel Dawes D.D. on 11th Aug 1895".

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1898 - 1903 Rev James Grindrod
1904 - Rev Horact Ernest West Curate 1873 1958
1912 - 1914 Rev George Green 1881 1957
1910 - 1911 Rev Joseph Addison White 1840 1916
1911 - 1912 Rev Henry Robert Hobbs 1872 1915
1903 - 1905 Rev H. E. West
1905 - 1911 Rev J. A. White
1911 - Rev H. R. Hobbs
1912 - 1914 Rev G. Green
1915 - 1920 Rev William Bernard Charles 1884 1973
1920 - 1925 Rev Noel Johnston Danne 1890 1969
1923 - 1926 Rev Edward John Pizey
1926 - 1928 Rev Lawrence Septimus Jackson 1896 1958
1928 - 1929 Rev Arthur Hazelhurst Gribble 1870 1952
1930 - 1933 Rev Reginald Robert MaCartney Noake 1879 1953
1934 - 1936 Rev Victor Norman Gilbert 1900 1971
1936 - 1938 Rev Roy Head
1939 - 1944 Rev George James William Dann Curate to 1940 1906 1977
1949 - 1950 Rev John Alun Lewys Davies 1902 1976
1952 - Rev Richard Henry Miles 1910 1990
1954 - 1959 Rev John Hamer Howorth Deacon to 1955 1913 1988
2022 ? - Rev Jen Hercott

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1. Cable Clerical Index
2. Emerald and the Gemfields Centenary 1879 - 1979. AUS. QLD 10.021